FAO : Chiptuning

Need technical help or advice? This is the place for you.

MJP
Site Admin

FAO : Chiptuning

Postby MJP » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:35 am

Hope this helps guys wanting to find out about chiptuning ;)

What is Chipping and how is it Different From Stock Software?
For the MKV, chipping/flashing/ecu upgrade refer to the same thing. Typically, an aftermarket manufacturer will acquire the stock ECU code, make some modifications to improve performance, including, but not limited to, boost, timing, and fueling. Most chips also slightly raise the rev limiter, and remove the speed governor. The chip is this modified ECU coding which is then installed on customer’s cars.
-All 2.0T chips increase boost.
-Some 2.0T chips will maintain similar to stock air/fuel ratio.

What Do I Need Before I Install a Chip?
Nothing! All chip vendors provide a chip that will work with an otherwise stock car. An upgraded DV (only applicable on the 2.0T) and PCV is recommended, as they have a tendency to fail when chipped, however, you can wait until they fail before replacing them as well.

Note that some chip vendors also provide additional software that can be used with additional mods such as an exhaust or a turbo upgrade.

What’s Involved in Chipping?
In the old days, chipping involved physically opening the ECU and soldering in a new chip. Those days are gone. All major MKV chips are flashed through the OBD2 port under your dash.

Performance:
The chip by far is the best bang for the buck in terms of performance.

What Chip Should I Choose?
IMO, you should choose a local dealer who is knowledgeable and has good customer support.
-Local is important because you don’t want to drive 4 hours just to get reflashed when the dealer flashes you to stock, or if you want an upgraded and/or newer flash. Keep that in mind when choosing who to go to.
-Good customer service is important – you don’t want to get a chip and when you have a problem, the dealer who installed it might not help you out. Talk to people in your area to see who they’ve had a good experience with.
-Look to see if they have a big dealer network base. A small network base isn’t necessarily a bad thing, just that if the dealer near you closes down, and you need to get reflashed, then you might have to travel a very long distance. And if the shop is small, then they might close down, in which case, you’re essentially in trouble if you needed a reflash.

Where to Get it Installed?
-The chip can be installed at any dealer who distributes the chip that you are looking for

Check out our webstore for performance upgrades, wheels, suspensions, lighting, accessories and much more...

VWGTiclub Webstore

APR South Africa

MJP
Site Admin

Re: FAO : Chiptuning

Postby MJP » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:44 am

Reliability
Obviously reliability is as big concern for people when purchasing a chip. Increasing the power output of the car will decrease the life of the engine, however, there have been very very few engine failures that have been proven to be caused by to the chip itself. Sure, small stuff like the dv or pcv failure occur, but these have also been known to fail on stock cars as well. Chipping is still always considered a risk, and if warranty is your main concern, then don’t chip the car. Also, driving styles will affect the reliability as well. Bottom line is, there are hundreds, probably thousands of people with chips with no major problems at all.

Warranty on the Car
Ahh…the famous question…will the chip void the warranty? The answer isn’t a resounding yes or no. The bottom line is no modification will outright void the warranty, however, if the dealer proves that the modification directly caused failure of a stock component, then they most likely will not honor warranty in that scenario. If however, you have a chip, and the radio stops working, then they will have to fix the radio under warranty.

Another important thing to note is that the original warranty on the car is through Volkswagen of South Africa. The dealer is a separate entity from VWSA and may refuse to service your car for almost any reason. Your motorplan is administered by ABSA and not VWSA. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you should not have warranty problems.

Can the VW Find My Chip?
Certain chips provide a security lock-out option which doesn’t allow one to change the mode without knowing the code(APR), or using a specific flashloader (GIAC) . When it is used in conjunction with stock mode, the chip is very very hard for the dealer to detect. If VW decides to analyze the software code, then it won’t match stock, and they will know you are chipped, but this is an extremely unlikely scenario. Also, most chip vendors will flash you back to a stock VW file if you wanted to (though it might not be the one that your car came with)

Will Shifts be More “Jerky” With a Chip on the DSG?
When driving in “D”, the shifts should feel the same as stock. Some people have reported harsher shifts on certain files of certain manufacturers, however, at this time, I believe that it has either been fixed, or a fix is currently in the works. If you do experience harsher shifts with your chip, then you should talk to your chip manufacturer about it, and if they say it isn’t a common problem, then you should start a thread to find out who else on the forums also has the same problems.

Chips & Exhaust
For the mkv, an exhaust is generally sold as two parts, the downpipe (which includes the cat) and the catback section.
-A cat-back exhaust can be used with any chip without any issues.
-A turbo-back exhaust (TBE) or a downpipe(dp) is more critical as it changes the catalytic converter (cat).
- TDI models through 2006 have no sensors after the catalyst, so the ECU has no idea what's going on with the catalyst or even whether it exists. (The upcoming 2009 model will be an entirely different story.)

Vag-Com Logging
The Vag-Com is a tool made by Ross-Tech (http://www.ross-tech.com) that works similar to the dealer scan tool. It does a variety of things, but in the context of a chip, it will allow you to log data on your car. Some vendors will do vag-com logs, but some won’t. It isn’t required to log data via the vag-com when installing the chip, but having baseline data is very useful to have later on so you can see when you have a problem and what changed. If your dealer doesn’t do it, then you can take logs yourself if so inclined.

Can you adjust the boost, timing, fueling, idle, fuel trims, and other settings?
Unlike the 1.8t, at this time, there isn’t a program that allows you to adjust it via the Vag-Com cable.

How can the chip be removed?
The only way to remove the chip is to reflash over it.
-Some people get reflashed by the dealer due to a recall, so the chip is removed. In this case, go back to the dealer who installed the chip, and they should reflash you for free, though some may charge an installation fee.
-Unplugging the battery will not remove the chip
-Some manufacturers have said that they could chip over another manufacturer’s software. If you plan to do this, then you should check with them first.

Does Chipping Affect Fuel economy?
Yes and No. If you drive with a light foot (i.e. stay outside of boost), then economy shouldn’t be affected, or you might even get slightly increased mileage. If you drive with a heavyfoot, then the mileage will be less.

Maintenance
Proper maintenance is critical to the car’s health. It is even more so important in chipped cars. VW requires oil changes at 5k, 10k, and every 10k thereafter under NORMAL use. Depending on how you drive the car, you might want to reduce the oil change interval, and other service requirements.

Can I Make my Own Chip?
Yes, you can make your own chip, if you had the money and knowledge to do so. Be advised that the cost of making your own chip would many times higher than buying an off the shelf chip. And if you don’t know what you’re doing, then you can cause lots of damage. If you are still interested in making your own chip, then this is a good place to start:
http://www.checksumm.com/chiptuning/index.php

Check out our webstore for performance upgrades, wheels, suspensions, lighting, accessories and much more...

VWGTiclub Webstore

APR South Africa

Stage 1

Postby newbie » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi thanx for the info.do you have any recomendation were i can get my car chipped and what dump valve should i put on?and what is the pcv you also have to change?
Seat Leon Cupra
Unitronic software
Flowtech DP
Evoms intake
Autotech Hpfp
S3 Intercooler

gtiman

Postby gtiman » Tue May 26, 2009 4:45 pm

are there any options for the polo gti -

are there any Plug and Play chips available that can be used, and then taken off
easily when you dont want to drive with the chip on

fugeez

Postby fugeez » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:30 pm

1. How realistic is it that a 30% gain in power can be achieved with just software changes alone tuning?? being a mechanical engineer i think this is preposterous!! maybe i'm wrong but can someone clarify for me and quote a realistic figure for me.
2.which is the best place in JHB that does VW Golf suspension!! i had a terrible experience with a certain Koni dealer that supplied me with struts and bushes and lo abd behold they fitted the LHS lower control bush upside down and the control arm came off the bush and seiously damaged the tyre!
2004 Black VW Golf GTi-132Kw
Caractere Styling Kit
18" Racing Hart Wheels with 225 rubber.
koni FSD suspension( with Powerflex bushes)

AndzGP
Stage 2 +

Postby AndzGP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm

im keen to start tunning on y G6...not sure which route togo wit rite now
F21 M135...282wkw's & 12.5 - JB only
EX.2009 135i N54.....Xcede Tuned
12.6 1/4 mile @ 183kph ...272wkw's
http://www.Xcede.co.za

SCV-Hamann

Postby SCV-Hamann » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks MJP from my point of it summs it up pretty good.... The only thing I can ad, regarding the DSG, we can actually re-programm the DSG Unit, which gives you quite a few nice extra features and for the guys out there with 400NM + it is actually a must have... ;)

For Gtiman, Plug and Play in that sense only exist for diesel vehicles, but its not really recommendable since it is a really basic way of getting more power, without going to much into detail here.

And for fugeez, 30% are possible "just with software" but it really depends on the car. In your example, around 25kw and 60NM are realistic maybe even a bit more which makes it 23% overall difference.
Swiss Car Vision Chip Tuning and Official Importer of Oettinger and Hamann-Motorsport.

PERFORMANCE WITHOUT COMPROMISE

fugeez

Postby fugeez » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:18 pm

SCV Hamman i'm just noticing that you import Oettinger products(on signature)-for rea!!! i need those alluminium pedals with the foot rest for the G4. do happen to have those?????
2004 Black VW Golf GTi-132Kw
Caractere Styling Kit
18" Racing Hart Wheels with 225 rubber.
koni FSD suspension( with Powerflex bushes)

TBag
Stage 1

Postby TBag » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:48 am

Great read. now its just to decide who to get it chipped by. :?
Previous :
2014 Golf 7 GTI (DSG)

Neptune

Postby Neptune » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:53 pm

AndzGP wrote:im keen to start tunning on y G6...not sure which route togo wit rite now

Noticed at the bottom you have Excite touch screen Audio with 200 gigs onboard music. Where did you get that Audio system and whats the pricing on it if I may ask ? :ugeek:

Return to “The Garage”