TFSI timing chain

Need technical help or advice? This is the place for you.

PDF_27
Stage 1

Re: TFSI timing chain

Postby PDF_27 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:06 am

saw the price on vag café, not bad considering all the parts it comes with. Hows the quality of the ECS one though? Seriously considering it as well, watched/listened to this video link on you tube of a "before and after chain and tensioner replacement" and it made quite a difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60DglXiGkw

bluey03
Stage 1

Postby bluey03 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:55 am

:roll: Yeah expensive that's why its important to do your oil changes and replace this chain ... imagine the mods i could spend that cash on.....lol 98k
4 doors 4 more hoer's

bluey03
Stage 1

Postby bluey03 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:58 am

yes also worried about the quality of the ECS parts .... i'm more keen on the genuine stealership parts even though it be pricey. Anyone used the ESC kit before?
4 doors 4 more hoer's

DTM
GTI Driver

Postby DTM » Thu May 07, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with ECS parts they seem to have a good reputation. Personally I would rather fit OEM parts for peace of mind.

Audi A4 DTM

gti08
BT Golf

Postby gti08 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:19 pm

NeoSA wrote:Woah woah woah - you are trying to tell me that the TFSI engine is belt AND chain driven? As far as I know:

TFSI - Belt driven engine. Known issues with belt snapping, bending valves. Replace along with waterpump.
TSI - Chain driven engines. Known issues with timing chain tensioner.

thats correct however the fuel pump on both engines are chain driven.
14 GTI DSG

govendc
GTI Driver

Postby govendc » Fri May 08, 2015 9:10 am

Just wanted to find out , do you also need to change the cam shaft adjustor when changing cam chain. Will it be ok to just replace the tensioner an chain only. My mileage is over 200000km so want to upgrade for peace of mind.
mk5 GTI , Evoms Intake and DP
[b]Ford Focus ST

gti08
BT Golf

Postby gti08 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 am

govendc wrote:Just wanted to find out , do you also need to change the cam shaft adjustor when changing cam chain. Will it be ok to just replace the tensioner an chain only. My mileage is over 200000km so want to upgrade for peace of mind.

change it for peace of mind.penny wise pound foolish usually bites you in the ars# :lol:
14 GTI DSG

bluey03
Stage 1

Postby bluey03 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:27 am

gti08 wrote:
govendc wrote:Just wanted to find out , do you also need to change the cam shaft adjustor when changing cam chain. Will it be ok to just replace the tensioner an chain only. My mileage is over 200000km so want to upgrade for peace of mind.

change it for peace of mind.penny wise pound foolish usually bites you in the ars# :lol:

#AGREE :salut:
4 doors 4 more hoer's

MacGTi
GTI Driver

Postby MacGTi » Tue May 26, 2015 11:06 am

bluey03 wrote:Hi gents

Currently planning to replace the timing chain on a Mkv gti tfsi. Looking for a D.I.Y write up on this replacement. From abit of online search I think you need a special tool to hold the cams in position? I couldn't find a proper write up with photos, any links to related D.I.Y would be appreciated or advise??:idea:

No need for the special tool to hold the cams in place, you can stop the inlet cam from turning by inserting a piece of flat bar, or the end of a spanner into the end of the inlet cam.

Your biggest issue is going to be the bolt that holds the exhaust camshaft adjuster onto the cam. The 1st problem is you need a special bit called a Ribe or Polydrive bit, which looks like this: Image

And here is a picture of the bolt:

The next problem is going to be that the bolt is EXTREMELY tight, so chances are you are going to strip the head of the bolt like I did. I spoke to a VW mechanic and he says this happens often to them.

Otherwise it's not such a difficult job. Just make sure you mark the position of both cams so that you can get the timing right when putting the chain back on.

Here are the only pics I took.

Bolt head stripped, which meant I had to drill the bolt head and then hammer a spline bit into it.

New chain and tensioner

If you have around R10k to spare, you can also look at changing the camshaft adjuster.

MacGTi
GTI Driver

Postby MacGTi » Tue May 26, 2015 11:28 am

NeoSA wrote:Woah woah woah - you are trying to tell me that the TFSI engine is belt AND chain driven? As far as I know:

TFSI - Belt driven engine. Known issues with belt snapping, bending valves. Replace along with waterpump.
TSI - Chain driven engines. Known issues with timing chain tensioner.

TFSI - Intake cam is driven off the crank via a belt. Exhaust cam is driven off the inlet cam via a chain. So yes, technically it is belt and chain driven.
TSI - Intake and exhaust cams are driven off the crank via a chain.

Return to “The Garage”