MK7 Golf VCDS tweaks

Need technical help or advice? This is the place for you.

PDF_27
Stage 1

Re: MK7 Golf VCDS tweaks

Postby PDF_27 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:00 pm

excuse my ignorance bud, but is it possible to download the later 15.7 version and still use my current 12.12 cable?[/quote]

I tried that and sadly it doesn't work. The software version needs to correspond to the version on the cable.

ULTIM8M-ZN
Stage 1

Postby ULTIM8M-ZN » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:33 pm

PDF_27 wrote:excuse my ignorance bud, but is it possible to download the later 15.7 version and still use my current 12.12 cable?

I tried that and sadly it doesn't work. The software version needs to correspond to the version on the cable.[/quote]

I only use mine probably once every 2 months or so.. so the necessity to get an updated version is not much.
Thanks for the research and feedback bud.. :salut:
11' GOLF 6 GTi DSG
Tornado Red
13' C63 COUPE Performance Pack
13' Range Rover Evoque Dynamic Si4
15' Golf 7 GTi DSG | Performance Pack
Carbon Steel Grey

Samurai 20V
Stage 1

Postby Samurai 20V » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:33 pm

ULTIM8M-ZN wrote:
Samurai 20V wrote:Guys,

I have a question regarding using the VCDS on my car.

I am a first time Golf owner (changed over from Toyota :o ), I have a 2016 Mk7 GTi performance pack.

1. Will using the VCDS cable on my own be detected by VW if my car goes for service? Will it be an issue with the warranty?

2. Does the version of cable matter, was looking at the 15.7 Ross tech cable. Will the 12.12 also work?

Thanks guys.

howsit bud.
congrats on the new PP.
I just got one myself. :bounce:

to answer your questions:
1. No - based on my experience.
2. 12.12 works perfectly on my car.

Thanks bro, its a good car... Enjoying it..

Thanks for the answers..
'94 Supra RZ 6spd
'16 MK7 GTi Performance Pack
'17 Hilux 2.8GD6 Raider 4x4 Auto

Samurai 20V
Stage 1

Postby Samurai 20V » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, will get the 15.7.
'94 Supra RZ 6spd

polo6rgti
GTI Driver

Postby polo6rgti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Here is the link for the latest VCDS software, 15.7.4. Also depending on the age of the cable, the firmware on the cable may also be updated automatically:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/current.php

My Hex Diagnostics cable is now three years old and is still performing flawlessly.

From my experience the ECU does log when a reset is done or when a security code is entered. The VCDS software can display the amount of resets already done and access attempts to secured modules.
2013 Polo 6R GTI

Samurai 20V
Stage 1

Postby Samurai 20V » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 pm

polo6rgti wrote:Here is the link for the latest VCDS software, 15.7.4. Also depending on the age of the cable, the firmware on the cable may also be updated automatically:

My Hex Diagnostics cable is now three years old and is still performing flawlessly.

From my experience the ECU does log when a reset is done or when a security code is entered. The VCDS software can display the amount of resets already done and access attempts to secured modules.

Will this be an issue if the car has to go for a warranty claim?
'94 Supra RZ 6spd

polo6rgti
GTI Driver

Postby polo6rgti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:14 pm

Samurai 20V wrote:
polo6rgti wrote:Here is the link for the latest VCDS software, 15.7.4. Also depending on the age of the cable, the firmware on the cable may also be updated automatically:

With any mods there is risk involved. If a particular part is damaged and it involves modified coding, VW may possibly compare the coding from factory and flag it. I don't of any cases of such. I had the steering rack of my Polo replaced under warranty and had no issues from VW, although I had played with the coding of the steering previously.
2013 Polo 6R GTI

Samurai 20V
Stage 1

Postby Samurai 20V » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:25 pm

polo6rgti wrote:
Samurai 20V wrote:

With any mods there is risk involved. If a particular part is damaged and it involves modified coding, VW may possibly compare the coding from factory and flag it. I don't of any cases of such. I had the steering rack of my Polo replaced under warranty and had no issues from VW, although I had played with the coding of the steering previously.

Ok cool..
'94 Supra RZ 6spd

madracer
Stage 1

Postby madracer » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:14 pm

polo6rgti wrote:
Samurai 20V wrote:

Trust me, the dealer workshop people struggle to replace a brake pad and do an oil change.
For them to operate vcds is impossible.

The reason dealers dont do vcds mods is becuase they dont know how to, not because of any other reason.

polo6rgti
GTI Driver

Postby polo6rgti » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:21 pm

madracer wrote:Trust me, the dealer workshop people struggle to replace a brake pad and do an oil change.
For them to operate vcds is impossible.

The reason dealers dont do vcds mods is becuase they dont know how to, not because of any other reason.

I've seen a white board on the wall of a VW workshop showing the amount of hours that they are behind and the number of vehicles they need to work on to meet target before month end. So one can only imagine how many repair/service jobs are rushed and botched by the mechanics just to keep their workshop managers happy. Also inexperienced apprentices are assigned to change brake pads and do oil changes.
2013 Polo 6R GTI

Return to “The Garage”