Tyre reviews

Need technical help or advice? This is the place for you.

Image
turbodub
Stage 2
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 am

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby turbodub » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:57 pm

about two weeks ago i put on four new Good year Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's , i have probably done about 500kms of pretty chilled chilled driving with the occasional bit of spirited tomfoolery .
i must they are proving to be superb in terms of noise ,ride ,handling and feel .
the wheelspin has noticeably diminished particularly in 2nd and into 3rd .
solid state cornering is superb , put the car in and slowly increase the power and the car just grips and turns in , the front is noticeably better on turn in and the rear follows nicely particulary under acceleration ,tightening the line without triggering the esp.
all in all 2 thumbs up and i paid a whole 1250 each fitted and balanced.

CTDi
Stage 1
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby CTDi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:59 pm

What size and where did you get them?
2013 MK7 TDi DSG

EX:2010 TR MK6 GTi 6MT - REVO2,Flowtech,ITG
EX:2006 Ibiza Cupra TDi - 147.8 kw/420 nm @ Experience Exhaust
EX:1993 Golf 3 Gti
EX:1970 Beetle 1600 Twinport

turbodub
Stage 2
Posts: 898
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:05 am

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby turbodub » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:04 am

225/45/17
i.c. tyres, airport industria CT.

User avatar
ryanrich
BT Golf
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby ryanrich » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:03 pm

turbodub wrote:225/45/17
i.c. tyres, airport industria CT.


I.E. Tyres you mean. I also only use them, Wahib is awesome.

Will be fitting soon to the Audi, but now I have 235/40/18 which costs like R500 more per tyre than 225/40/18. :(
Image

NeoSA
Stage 2
Posts: 580
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby NeoSA » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:07 pm

turbodub wrote:about two weeks ago i put on four new Good year Eagle F1 Asymetric 2's , i have probably done about 500kms of pretty chilled chilled driving with the occasional bit of spirited tomfoolery .
i must they are proving to be superb in terms of noise ,ride ,handling and feel .
the wheelspin has noticeably diminished particularly in 2nd and into 3rd .
solid state cornering is superb , put the car in and slowly increase the power and the car just grips and turns in , the front is noticeably better on turn in and the rear follows nicely particulary under acceleration ,tightening the line without triggering the esp.
all in all 2 thumbs up and i paid a whole 1250 each fitted and balanced.


Thanks for the feedback on these tyres dude. I am looking at replacing my tyres with these soon, but for 235/35 R19's they cost R3500 per tyre. So that's R14,000 for a set of 4. They better be worth it.

At the moment I'm running Hankook's ventus v12's. They're not half bad, but I'm tired of the feel and tracking of directional tyres and want asymmetric tyres because they simply make the car feel better on the road. Your tracking is also based more on the direction of your steering wheel, as opposed to random grooves on the road surface.
2011 Golf 6 GTi DSG
Unitronic Stage 2+

User avatar
GoTime
Stage 2 +
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 am
Location: Cape Town

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby GoTime » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 pm

I would go with michelin pilot super sports if you gonna spend that kinda cash. This is my opinion of course. And many threads on the internet will confirm this.
If I could afford them I would buy them
reviews speak for themselves:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Michelin/Pilot+Super+Sport

http://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/michelin/pilot-super-sport/9271/916404
:troll:

Hoosier Daddy
Stage 2 +
Posts: 1478
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am
Location: Durban

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby Hoosier Daddy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Can support the Asymmetric 2's.

Dry Grip: 9
Wet Grip: 9
Handling: 9.5
Wear: 8.5
Sometimes a signature shows a person's character, other times it shows their name
Image

User avatar
ryanrich
BT Golf
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby ryanrich » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:49 pm

GoTime wrote:I would go with michelin pilot super sports if you gonna spend that kinda cash. This is my opinion of course. And many threads on the internet will confirm this.
If I could afford them I would buy them
reviews speak for themselves:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Michelin/Pilot+Super+Sport

http://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyre/michelin/pilot-super-sport/9271/916404


As do the GY reviews. On par with the PSS but a fair whack cheaper...

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Miche ... -Sport.htm

Can't go wrong with either though, definitely my tyres of choice.
Image

User avatar
GoTime
Stage 2 +
Posts: 1390
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 am
Location: Cape Town

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby GoTime » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 pm

ah I see, thanks bud. Seems to be the cheaper tyre of the two will be the best bet then.
:troll:

User avatar
ryanrich
BT Golf
Posts: 3715
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:43 pm
Location: Cape Town
Contact:

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby ryanrich » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:33 pm

GoTime wrote:ah I see, thanks bud. Seems to be the cheaper tyre of the two will be the best bet then.


Yeah it depends where you shop, but I get GY Asymmetric 2 for around R2k a pop and the Michelin PSS is R3k.

A friend fitted 4x Michelin PSS to his B8 RS4 and it came to R24k. :shock:
Image


Return to “The Garage”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mosez-GP and 3 guests