Tyre reviews

Need technical help or advice? This is the place for you.

turbodub
Stage 2

Re: Tyre reviews

Postby turbodub » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:37 am

SamG wrote:Does anyone else find the bridgestone Potenza's uncomfy?

Get a seriously hard ride on them, maybe the harder than normal sidewalls?

I have them in 225/45 on the rear and they have a noticeably square shoulder compared to the pilot 3 Michelins I have on the front - they are definitely harder and to me look wider due to the hard sidewall than the Michelins .
I wont put another set on , will stick with Michelin or go for the new Pirelli which came out tops when tested by evo in my size on an audi a3 ...!!
the Pirelli was the only tyre the testers say actually changed the feel of the cars steering for the better with more feel .

Shaddow
Stage 2 +

Postby Shaddow » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am

I have just replaced old toyo proxes t1s with new ones. Old ones were worn down completely in about 25,000-30,000km so dont expect to get too much life out of them. Remember that this is a very soft compound tyre. But grip is absolutely phenomenal in the dry, and car feels very very stable in the wet. I don't take chances on wet roads so cant really comment on roadholding round a bend.

I can launch in standing water at 5000rpm and still hit the 0-100 in 5s. So water dispersement seems pretty good. To echo Playback's words, the worn tyres became noisy and slippery in the wet. Still gripped well in the dry. The new tyres are chalk and cheese in the wet.

Overall, as happy with these as I was with the potenza RE050 that were on my GTI before this. TOYOs are about R1300 cheaper per tyre. I would def recommend them.

Also make sure alignment is done correctly. A lot of places have good equipment, but techies are lazy. To this end, Minty's in Sandton have been fantastic every time!

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
2012 Scirocco DSG K04
CPi Tuned!
12.3@184 - Tuner Wars (Nov 2014)
245wkw 564Nm

Ex:
2008 Audi TTS S-Tronic - Revo 2, DP (12.9 @ 178 - Tarlton S2S)
2008 Golf 5 GTI DSG - K04 APR Tuned (13.6 @ 175, street tyres - Tarlton S2S)

GREENJUSTIN

Postby GREENJUSTIN » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:54 pm

Just fitted Roadstone N8000 235/35/19 TYRES, so far i am impressed. comfortable and quiet so far.
i will feedback on dry and wet performance later.

Yaseen W

Postby Yaseen W » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Hi, in the market to purchase tyres.

Any more feedback/comments on Good Year F1 Asymmetric 2 please.

Thank you.

Shaddow
Stage 2 +

Postby Shaddow » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Yaseen W wrote:Hi, in the market to purchase tyres.

Any more feedback/comments on Good Year F1 Asymmetric 2 please.

Thank you.

If u can get them for R2k or less, take them! This is my first choice tyre!

I was at Minty's today for alignment. They have a special running till end of the month on Toyo Proxes T1 Sport. Give them a call and check it out.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
2012 Scirocco DSG K04
CPi Tuned!
12.3@184 - Tuner Wars (Nov 2014)
245wkw 564Nm

Ex:
2008 Audi TTS S-Tronic - Revo 2, DP (12.9 @ 178 - Tarlton S2S)
2008 Golf 5 GTI DSG - K04 APR Tuned (13.6 @ 175, street tyres - Tarlton S2S)

lucio bravo
Stage 1

Postby lucio bravo » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:29 pm

havent had a chance to read through the entire thread but thought i'd gooi my 5 bobs worth...

Bridgestone Potenza RE002 - that is my weapon of choice
Performance -i have never thrown a FWD car into a corner with as much confidence as these bad boys gave me - simply amazing considering their price
As far as performance in the wet, few issues with wheel spin in lower gears (but what do you expect with +200wkw on a FWD :troll: ) but other than that.... zero complaints.
Noise levels - again, i was amazed at how silent these were.
Wear - absolutely far considering i used them for 3 track days (ave. 21 laps per track day) and they still lasted more than 40000kms
would i buy them again? 10 times out of 10

Achilles 2233
Performance - i almost lost complete control going around a F@*king traffic circle in Edenvale at F@*king 60kph :evil: ON A F@*KING DRY ROAD!
screw the rest of the review - simply the dumbest purchase i have ever made in my life! luckily it was a short time purchase and i only bought two of these F@*kers.

ps. and one of these naaier tyres got a fuggen bubble after 2 weeks :facepalm:
~ El Cuprano ~

1P CUPRA - Emocion Red

TURBULENCE
Stage 1

Postby TURBULENCE » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:53 am

Put on a set of Yokohama A Drives last February. Good all rounder, a bit noisy, excellent life out of them. Need to do rotation now with the fronts about 60% life left and the rears almost like new. For the price I paid I'm happy. Lights up in 1st gear if I launch hard but otherwise they great in the wet dry and corners.
current 2009 Golf 5 GTI, united grey, DSG
ex 2006 Golf 5 GTI, tornado red, manual
ex 2003 Golf 4 GTI 132, anthracite

turbodub
Stage 2

Postby turbodub » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:46 am

lucio bravo wrote:havent had a chance to read through the entire thread but thought i'd gooi my 5 bobs worth...

Performance -i have never thrown a FWD car into a corner with as much confidence as these bad boys gave me - simply amazing considering their price
As far as performance in the wet, few issues with wheel spin in lower gears (but what do you expect with +200wkw on a FWD :troll: ) but other than that.... zero complaints.
Wear - absolutely far considering i used them for 3 track days (ave. 21 laps per track day) and they still lasted more than 40000kms

Achilles 2233
Performance - i almost lost complete control going around a F@*king traffic circle in Edenvale at F@*king 60kph :evil: ON A F@*KING DRY ROAD!
screw the rest of the review - simply the dumbest purchase i have ever made in my life! luckily it was a short time purchase and i only bought two of these F@*kers.

i hear you . so many guys take off top notch bridgestone etc which come as stock and put on bigger wheels and tyres with horseshit chinese tyres and then mod their cars faster but the most important component for safety and handling has been downgraded in reality :scratch:

Sean10
Stage 2

Postby Sean10 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:18 pm

lucio bravo wrote:havent had a chance to read through the entire thread but thought i'd gooi my 5 bobs worth...

Achilles 2233

+1 an absolute waste of rubber and money...my set of AKILLERS had the shoulders peel away from the running surface...literally threw them away after 2000kms :sleep:

Renegade187

Postby Renegade187 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Conti SC3
Handling 7.5/10
Wear 9/10
Value for money 7/10

Hankook ventus V12
Handling 7/10
Wear 7/10
Value for money 8/10

Falken FK453