Once the 3.6L motor was installed, it gives me an opportunity to strip off the inlet manifolds to view the carbon build up on the inlet valves.
This VR6 has done 150 000Km and it is the direct injection (FSI) motor.
Stripped the top part of the inlet manifold off.
Here's the three front part of the inlet ports:
The three back part of the inlet ports:
They are not too bad for the mileage, but they needed to be cleaned.
So walnut shells are needed to do the cleaning. It wasn't easy to find.
Someone told me that they got the nut shells from a gun shop.
So I went and bought some nut shells from a gun shop.
Also needed other equipment, 50L compressor, gravity feed sandblaster, carburetor cleaner, vacuum cleaner with some old vacuum cleaner hoses, etc..:
I was lucky to have a few 7mm aluminum tubes laying around.
Bought some extra nozzles, drilled the holes bigger and fitted the aluminum tubes onto the nozzles.
The top curvy one was used to get into the back ports in the head. I really struggled in cleaning those ports.
The bottom straight one was used for the front ports and that was easy to clean.
I also used this cheap USB bore camera to help me to view the back ports while cleaning.
Taped up the ports and left the port open that I was cleaning.
This is about 15-20 second squirt from the sand blasting gun with the nut shells.
After a couple of minutes of blasting and a round with the carburetor cleaner.
Just one more round with the carburetor cleaner and the port cleaning is done.
The back ports cleaned out and waiting for a last round with the carburetor cleaner.
I really struggled to get the back ports cleaned out properly.
It was difficult to get in there with the aluminum tube, but with some persistence I eventually got it cleaned out properly.
I use an old vacuum cleaner hose, which I cut into a short length and made a small hole for the aluminum tube to fit through.
The old vacuum cleaner hose was just big enough to fit into the inlet ports.
This old hose was connected to my old vacuum cleaner and the area was kept clean from the nut shells spraying around.
One advise on the vacuum cleaner, either use a low power one or if yours is a variable power type, like mine, set it towards the lowest setting.
At higher suction power I actually started to draw out the oil from the valve stem seals.
Used a strainer to separate the bigger carbon pieces from the nut shells so I can reuse the nut shells.
This is how much nut shells I've used.
I lost count after 15-16 times of reusing the nut shells.
So the 3Kg nut shells would do a few cars (4 cylinder).
Installing the seal kit onto the injector.
The top half of the inlet manifold cleaned out with new seals, ready to be installed.
Once the inlet manifold was installed another area I had to tackle was an oil seepage from the sump seal.
The sump dropped.
The internals looks very clean for the mileage done.
The sump all cleaned up and ready for the install.
Next up is the exhaust install and the wiring.