Moolz wrote:Super impressive! Awesome detailed write up too. Keep the updates coming!
ps. how many hours and ZAR have you put into the swap (ex purchase price)?
I've started this project at end of May 2018 and completed it at the end of November 2018.
Well, the costs came in at 10s of thousands of Rands. I've got all the invoices and I'll have a heart attack if I add everything up.
With the driveshafts from the scrapyard, both of the outer CVs the threads, were the axle bolts onto, had some damages to it.
Both of the inner CVs had their rubber boots ripped off and has dirt (sand) in them.
Was worried that the outer CVs damaged threads might be beyond repair, but was lucky enough that only two to four turns of the threads was damaged.
Was also worried that the inner CVs bearing, each CV has three bearings, had dirt (sand) in it and might not able to clean them out properly.
But I did manage to clean the bearings out properly and regreased them.
The inner CVs doesn't have the 6 bolts, like most other inner CVs, that needs to be bolted onto the gearbox flanges.
The DQ500 has spline shaft that you just push the driveshaft onto.
Here's the three bearing that slides into a housing.
The housing that has the bearing in it. This housing slides onto a little shaft on the gearbox.
The center part of the three bearings is connected to the driveshaft.
The housing with the blue cover which is the side that will connect to the gearbox.
Here's the outer CV with the insides stripped out, cleaned up nicely and ready to be put back together again.
The outer CV put back together, just need to install onto the driveshaft, put some grease in and install the rubber boot.
The fully assembled driveshaft with the CVs cleaned out, new OEM grease and OEM rubber boots.
Both of the right and left hand drive shafts is ready to be installed, but that's later on since I need to do other things first.
According to the DQ500 that came from the Audi Q3, that had the small fire, it had done just over 25 000Kms.
This means the back diff is still newish.
Since the CC had done 150 000Kms I decided to swap the diffs around so the less mileage one will be in the CC.
Before installing the newer diff in the CC I decided to replace the Haldex oil and the Diff oil.
According to VW there's no need to replace the filter on the 4th generation Haldex unit.
Don't listen to that nonsense, replace the filter at every oil change intervals.
There are many stories popping up on the internet on high mileage 4th generation Haldex units that hadn't ever changed the filter had some sludge problems.
I had to use a large screw to "force pull" the stubborn filter out.
The filter out.
The oil was a very dark brown in color.
Got me wondering if the 60 000Km haldex oil change was a bit long for this Audi Q3 since it only had done just over 25 000Kms.
Some particles that came out from the Haldex.
The diff oil that came out was still pretty clean.
Had that light golden color.
Jacked up the rear to do the diff swap.
The dirty old diff.
Cleaned both of the inner driveshaft area.
Cleaned the diff as much as possible and ready to be taken out.
Before I can take out the diff there are two bolts that I need to access from inside the CC.
This will be from the boot area.
I need to drill two large holes in the body to access those two bolts, to loosen them for the diff.
You'll see two dimples on the body, just above the spare wheel.
The two holes drilled.
The bolt that needs to be loosened for the diff to come out.
Once out I decided that the underside of the CC needs a major clean up.
After spending a considerable time in cleaning this is the results.
The two diffs.
The left one is the lower mileage one and the right one is from the CC.
The left one was installed in the CC.
Once the diff was installed, I need to close off the two holes that I drilled through the body.
VW has the plugs for it which I bought and installed them.
The undercarriage covers has seen better days so I decided to strip them out.
You can see how dirty it is under there.
So I went on a cleaning spree.
I stripped out all under linings covers, including all the wheel arches.
It wasn't easy cleaning everything, laying on the creeper, scrubbing, water running down your arms, etc...
Also it taken some considerable time as well, but the results was really satisfying.
Just need the last rinse, but looks far better than before.
The propshaft, the heat shields installed and the new undercarriage covers installed.
From underneath it looks like a new car.