CONE FILTER vs INTAKES

For all performance related upgrades this is the forum to discuss and get information from....

1flygti6zn

CONE FILTER vs INTAKES

Postby 1flygti6zn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:12 pm

Hey gents,

Im not very clued up when it comes to performance stuff,

Can someone explain what is the difference between a CONE FILTER and an INTAKE?

Thanks in advance

K_S
Stage 2 +
Location: JHB - Where the air is thin and the Roc's are fast.

Re: CONE FILTER vs INTAKES

Postby K_S » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:25 pm

All cars have intake systems that feed the Turbo with ambient air. However these intake systems are restrictive.

A cone filter usually filters the air entering an aftermarket high-flow intake. Its an open air filter, meaning that its not usually enclosed, eg. an EVOMS intake system. Some intakes do have canisters that house a cone filter eg. VW Racing intake system.

A flat panel, drop-in filter replaces your standard air filter in your standard airbox. There are also intakes that have flat panel filters in an enclosure that looks like your standard airbox enclosure eg. VW Racing intake system for the Golf 7 GTi/R.
A NIGHTMARE ON ANY STREET

1flygti6zn

Postby 1flygti6zn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:34 pm

K_S wrote:All cars have intake systems that feed the Turbo with ambient air. However these intake systems are restrictive.

A cone filter usually filters the air entering an aftermarket high-flow intake. Its an open air filter, meaning that its not usually enclosed, eg. an EVOMS intake system. Some intakes do have canisters that house a cone filter eg. VW Racing intake system.

A flat panel, drop-in filter replaces your standard air filter in your standard airbox. There are also intakes that have flat panel filters in an enclosure that looks like your standard airbox enclosure eg. VW Racing intake system for the Golf 7 GTi/R.

Thanks for the reply bud,
Reason i ask, ive seen a few G7 GTi’s with a K&N filter which looks like a cone filter,
So installing a cone on a G7 gti is possible?

Intake price +- 5k
Cone +- under 1k

K_S
Stage 2 +
Location: JHB - Where the air is thin and the Roc's are fast.

Postby K_S » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:39 pm

1flygti6zn wrote:
K_S wrote:All cars have intake systems that feed the Turbo with ambient air. However these intake systems are restrictive.

Reason i ask, ive seen a few G7 GTi’s with a K&N filter which looks like a cone filter,

Intake price +- 5k
Cone +- under 1k

Installing just a cone filter on your stock intake system may give you slightly better airflow (the stock filter is restrictive) however i dont think you will get the full gains from just a cone filter. The entire intake system should be replaced for maximum flow. To my understanding, the stock turbo inlet pipe is one of the most restrictive components in the stock intake system. This should be upgraded to a high flow inlet pipe. I may be mistaken, rather let the other guys with Golf 7's to provide more feedback.
A NIGHTMARE ON ANY STREET

1flygti6zn

Postby 1flygti6zn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:44 pm

K_S wrote:
1flygti6zn wrote:

Intake price +- 5k
Cone +- under 1k

Installing just a cone filter on your stock intake system may give you slightly better airflow (the stock filter is restrictive) however i dont think you will get the full gains from just a cone filter. The entire intake system should be replaced for maximum flow. To my understanding, the stock turbo inlet pipe is one of the most restrictive components in the stock intake system. This should be upgraded to a high flow inlet pipe. I may be mistaken, rather let the other guys with Golf 7's to provide more feedback.

Thanks a million bud, i now have a much better understanding :salut:

Return to “Performance upgrades”